Sunday, August 16, 2009

A New Medium

OK, so it isn't new, it is renewed! I am a big time recycler, both at home and at my preschool. One of my new discoveries has been repurposing items.

Honestly, I hadn't really given this idea any thought until my neices and a little friend went to our local children's museum, Working Wonders. Karlie wanted to spend some time in the craft area, so we all followed her. It was here that I discovered the world of repurposing. My eyes were opened to the idea that I didn't have to just recycle items, but I could use them in different ways and make them Beautiful! (Who knew!)

Cecil had bought himself a new wallet that came in a tin container. He asked me if I wanted it, I did, and I began my first repurposing project. I cannot express what fun I had making my little album.

My hubby and I enjoy getting away to the Oregon Coast whenever we can and I love to take pictures, so what we would come home with is a ton of new pictures! With so many piling up, I had the perfect subject for my new project.


Here is a shot of the front and the first few pages. In addition to repurposing the tin, I used several techniques new to me. On page three, my friend Sherry showed me how to make a sand box (collected from an Oregon Beach) - Thanks Sherry - What a fun interactive addition that was. I had recently discovered Tim Holtz's Fragments (Love 'em!) and used them everywhere! The fragments really made the pages stand out. The album turned out much better than I imagined and my Husband LOVES IT!

The next two shots are of the album fanned out. (Not the best shots, but I am working on that!)


All of that to say, I am gearing up for class ideas using recycled items or repurposing items. I spent a few moments wondering around the house and gathered up some items of inspiration. Here are a few items that caught my eye.



I am excited to see what I can come up with using these items - paper bags, tin can, bottle cap, Gift Card tin, coffee cup cozy, and a cereal box.
Come back soon to see what these items become!

No comments:

Post a Comment